- Drug-Free Workplace Advisor
Please note: The Department of Labor ended the drug-free workplace program in 2010. Accordingly, it does not currently administer a “Workplace drug testing” advisory web page and is not responsible for the content of the linked sites.
Drug-Free Workplace Policy Builder
Developing a Policy Statement
The Policy Builder has 13 different sections, each addressing one of the questions listed below.
- What is the purpose/goal of your policy?
- Who will be covered by your policy?
- When will your policy apply?
- What behavior will be prohibited?
- Will employees be required to notify you of drug-related convictions?
- Will your policy include searches?
- Will your program include drug testing?
- What will the consequences be if your policy is violated?
- Will there be Return-to-Work Agreements?
- What type of assistance will be available?
- How will employee confidentiality be protected?
- Who will be responsible for enforcing your policy?
- How will your policy be communicated to employees?
For best results, you should build your policy in one session because no information you provide while using the system is saved or stored in any way.
Please note that DOL strongly recommends that you have your policy reviewed by a legal consultant, such as a labor/employment attorney, prior to distribution and implementation.