Skip to Main Content
Compliance Assistance Resources

elaws - employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses

- WARN Advisor

What Services Are Available if I Lose My Job?

In partnership with the states and local areas, the U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA) administers a nationwide network of American Job Centers, through which you can access services tailored to your needs, including assistance for individuals who have lost their jobs. Even if you are laid off by an event that is not covered by WARN, you are eligible to receive the services of the American Job Center network. The services provided through American Job Centers generally include labor market information, assessment of skills and interests, job development, job placement, counseling, training and supportive services to enable an eligible individual who needs such assistance to participate in training. Depending upon the size of the layoff in which you are involved you may also receive services from the State Rapid Response Dislocated Worker Unit, which will arrange with your employer to provide on-site information to you and other affected workers about retraining and employment services that can help in finding a new job. The purpose of rapid response is to ensure you have timely information on the transition assistance available.

These services are provided under Title I of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA). It is important to note that WIA Title I is not an entitlement program. With limited resources, it cannot provide services on demand to all individuals who meet the eligibility criteria. Such matters are decided at the local level in accordance with state policies.

Benefits, including training, job search and relocation allowances and income support are available to workers whose layoff occurred because of increases in imports or shifts in production overseas under the Trade Act of 1974. Rapid Response and American Job Center staff will be able to help determine whether Trade Act benefits may be available for you.

To locate your closest American Job Center, visit America's Service Locator or call 1-877-US-2JOBS (V) or 1-877-889-5627 (TTY).