Skip to Main Content
Compliance Assistance Resources

elaws - employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses

- WARN Advisor

What Services are Available to Help my Employees?

Upon receipt of a WARN notice, the State Rapid Response Dislocated Worker Unit will arrange with the employer to provide on-site information to affected workers about retraining and employment services that can help them find a new job. The purpose of rapid response is to ensure that workers have timely information on the transition assistance available. Services provided may include:

  • Labor market information;
  • Job search and placement assistance;
  • On-the-job training;
  • Classroom training;
  • Basic and remedial education; and
  • Entrepreneurial training.
  • Information and assistance in applying for Unemployment Insurance and Trade Adjustment Assistance.

In partnership with the states and local areas, the U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA) administers a nationwide network of American Job Centers, through which individuals can access services tailored to their needs, including assistance for individuals who have lost their jobs as a result of mass layoffs and plant closures. The services provided through American Job Centers generally include assessment of skills and interests, job development, job placement, counseling, training and supportive services to enable an eligible individual who needs such assistance to participate in training.

These services are provided under Title I of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA). It is important to note that WIA Title I is not an entitlement program. With limited resources, it cannot provide services on demand to all individuals who meet the eligibility criteria. Such matters are decided at the local level in accordance with state policies.

Benefits, including training, job search and relocation allowances and income support are available to workers whose layoff occurred because of increases in imports or shifts in production overseas under the Trade Act of 1974. Rapid Response and American Job Center staff will be able to help determine whether Trade Act benefits may be available for your workers.

Your workers can locate their closest American Job Center by visiting America's Service Locator or call 1-877-US-2JOBS (V) or TTY.