- FirstStep Employment Law Advisor
In addition to posters of general application, certain business operations may be required to display posters that can only be obtained from DOL's Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP). This Advisor does not provide those posters. Those posters are Notices to Employees that the employer is insured or self-insured to provide compensation benefits to its employees or eligible survivors in the case of work-connected injury, illness or death. Those posters are not provided here because OWCP provides them only to employers who have obtained insurance or qualify as self-insured.
Employers covered by the following statutes must obtain this insurance:
- Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act
- Defense Base Act (covers employees on overseas military, air, or
naval bases under a public works contract performed by contractors
with agencies of the U.S. Government)
- Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (covers employees of firms
working on the outer continental shelf of the U. S. engaged in
exploration for and development of natural resources)
- Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (covers civilian employees in post exchanges, service clubs, etc. of the Armed Forces)
If you need to determine whether you are covered under one of these statutes, you may contact the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs.