Skip to Main Content
Compliance Assistance Resources

elaws - employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses

- MSHA Online Forms Advisor

Independent Contractor

Please select any of the links below to find out more about the filing requirements and procedures specific to each form.

Contractor ID Request (MSHA Form 7000-52) - All independent contractors are required to apply for an MSHA contractor identification number. An MSHA ID is required for each contractor operating a mine site and must be issued before they begin specific activities.

Mine Accident, Injury and Illness Report (MSHA From 7000-1) - If an accident, injury or illness occurs at or in conjunction with activity at a mine, independent contractors are required to report the circumstances of the incident to MSHA using Form 7000-1.

Quarterly Mine Employment and Coal Production Report (MSHA Form 7000-2) - Independent contractors are required to report employment and production information to MSHA using Form 7000-2 for each quarter of operation and at each mine at which activity is performed.

Please note that the MSHA Online Forms Advisor does not address all MSHA filing requirements. There may be additional forms and filing requirements you need to fulfill. View the full list of MSHA Forms and Online Filings.