skip to page content
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: Where do I get information about black lung benefits?

Answer: The federal black lung benefits program is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Workers' Compensation (OWCP), not by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). In order to be eligible, an individual must be totally and permanently disabled by black lung. That is a very high standard to meet, and most miners are therefore not eligible for federal black lung benefits. The web site also lists phone numbers for federal black lung benefits offices.



Search FAQs

  Type a keyword or phrase in the
  box below and hit "Go."



To FAQs Home To FAQs Home