skip to page content
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: I was awarded black lung benefits by the Federal Black Lung Program. I also filed a claim with the state where I worked as a coal miner and was awarded benefits. Am I still entitled to medical coverage under the Federal Black Lung Program?

Answer: Expenses for the treatment of your black lung condition that are not covered by the state may be covered by the Federal Black Lung Program. However, bills or reimbursement requests must first be submitted under the state program which awarded your benefits.

If your medical providers' bills or your own reimbursement requests are denied under your state award, send the bill or the reimbursement request and original receipts, along with a copy of the denial letter, to:

P.O. BOX 828

If you have questions, please call the Division of Coal Mine Workers' Compensation (DCMWC) District Office that handles your Federal Black Lung Program claim. If you do not have the address or phone number of that office, you may get them by calling toll-free, Mon. - Fri., 8:15 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. (ET): 1-800-638-7072.



Search FAQs

  Type a keyword or phrase in the
  box below and hit "Go."



To FAQs Home To FAQs Home