skip to page content
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: What minimum wage exceptions apply to student learners?

Answer: This program is for high school students at least 16 years old who are enrolled in vocational education (shop courses). The employer that hires the student can obtain a certificate from the Department of Labor which allows the student to be paid not less than 75% of the minimum wage, for as long as the student is enrolled in the vocational education program.

Employers interested in applying for a student learner certificate should contact the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour National Certification Team at 230 South Dearborn Street, Room 514, Chicago, Illinois 60604, telephone: 312-596-7195.

Other programs that allow for payment of less than the full federal minimum wage apply to disabled workers and full-time students employed pursuant to sub-minimum wage certificates.



Search FAQs

  Type a keyword or phrase in the
  box below and hit "Go."



To FAQs Home To FAQs Home