- Health Benefits Advisor
Reduction in Hours
A reduction in work hours, whether voluntary or involuntary, can affect the health coverage available to you and your family. For example, a reduction in work hours may cause you to lose your eligibility for group health coverage with your employer, or cause you to pay more for that coverage. Knowing your options and understanding your rights can prevent a reduction in hours from meaning an end to all health care coverage.
Depending on your circumstances, you and your family members may be entitled to elect COBRA continuation coverage at group rates under your employer's health plan. You and your family members may also have the right to enroll in a group health plan sponsored by your spouse's employer. There may also be opportunities available to you outside the group health plan context.
Before making any decisions, you should carefully consider the information on COBRA continuation coverage and the other coverages for which you and your family members may be eligible to determine which one best meets your needs.
Which type of coverage would you like to consider?
- Enrollment in a group health plan offered through my spouse's job
- COBRA continuation coverage through my employer's group health plan
- Medicaid - Government-sponsored health insurance program for low-income individuals and individuals with special needs and their families.
- State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) - Government-sponsored health insurance program for children of qualified families. Each state determines the income level for families to qualify. In most cases, eligible families can have income levels well above the national poverty level.
- Medicare - A Federally funded health benefits program for people aged 65 and over, and for certain people under 65 who are disabled or have permanent kidney failure.
- Other Health Coverage - This category includes coverage from another source such as individually purchased health coverage, coverage through a club or association or any other source not listed above.