Skip to Main Content

Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor

University and College Fraternity and Sorority Houses

Many universities and colleges have fraternity and sorority houses on their campuses that provide dormitory and dining hall facilities for students (members). Ordinarily, these organizations are controlled and operated by the national and local chapter organization and the degree of supervision and control by the educational establishment is casual and nominal. As a general rule, the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor does not consider the operation of these fraternity and sorority houses as a part of the college or university enterprise.

After you have reviewed the information here, please click on the Back button to return to the Advisor.