Skip to Main Content

Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor

Workers with Disabilities

Individuals whose earning or productive capacity is impaired by a physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury may be paid sub-minimum wages pursuant to a certificate issued by the Secretary of Labor. The sub-minimum wages are commensurate with wages paid to workers without disabilities. Employment at less than the minimum wage is authorized to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment for workers with disabilities.

Employers interested in applying for a sub-minimum wage certificate for disabled workers should contact the Department of Labor Wage and Hour Midwest Region Office at 230 South Dearborn Street, Room 562A, Chicago, IL, 60604, telephone: (312) 353-3809.

Please click on the Back button to return to the Advisor.