Skip to Main Content
Compliance Assistance Resources

elaws - employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses

- Family and Medical Leave Act Advisor

Military Caregiver Leave Certification - Authorized Health Care Provider

§ 825.310

When FMLA leave is taken by an employee to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness, an employer may require that employee to obtain a certification completed by an authorized health care provider of the covered servicemember. For this purpose, an authorized health care provider is a:

  • U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) health care provider;
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care provider;
  • DOD TRICARE network authorized private health care provider;
  • DOD non-network TRICARE authorized private health care provider; or,
  • Non-military-affiliated health care provider, as defined in § 825.125.

Certification requirements vary based on whether the covered servicemember is a current member or veteran of the Armed Forces.

Select from the options below to learn more about military caregiver leave certification requirements:

Select an option above to continue or Return to Military Family Leave Introduction.